Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dangdut Finally Ending?

I was at the private parking lot beside Seri Mutiara (SM) putting on my dangdut shoes - a pvc or soft plastic shoes - cheap but remarkably black and officious but the thin layer purposely and aesthetically dyed has peeled away but since it was dark at night no one should notice. However I had to put on socks if only to showcase their dangdutness and whilst doing so, I noticed Mikey, Prince and Veteran Steven not ten meters away. They too have arrived from driving around town with no specific destination and when I called before shooting to SM that they totally agree to join me. I told them that I had to go four stepping a couple of months - since - to reach at materials to update my dangdut blog and will only spend a few minutes inside to dance to be inspired and if they don't really fancy boogeing they can wait at Farouk's cafe del monsoon drain enjoying teh tarik and maggie goreng while I wiggle on the first floor of the dangdut establishment. They agree and are also willing to dance the inspirational tones along with. But Farouk was closed and of all days when it will always be on business nearly 24/7 - 365 days a year. Things were already looking ominous. I straight away went up the flight of stairs to the dangdut hall but found a sort of strangeness inside. It was empty as it can only be as proper dangduting started at only past midnight but I can sense something not so usual unlike my past visits. I found out the bit later that Mummy Annie has left the club for her recently established catering business. And the mummy replacing her, I had no inkling as to who she was. Was she a dancer or just an executive employed to be Mummy? Can she dance and with overall feel for the tunes? Has she romance for dangdut? Or that she can choose as to who to book to boogie with and a dangdut old timer such as me. My sentiments shot straight down and myself was left literally dangdut empty at that time. I was immediately downcast and I chose to leave SM the instant. With a heavy heart I suggested to Prince, Mikey and Steven that we proceeded to Extravaganza instead. But at Extravaganza also there wasn't the ambiance I was totally familiarized with. Dierdre has also left the club to be full time homemaker and mum at home plus to take care of hubby Elvis Rosly who has since recuperated nicely. There was this tomboyish lass answering that all the dancing girls can dance when I asked as to who can ( meaning those who can dance the dangdut salsa ala four step ) and Mummies when asked such would know what was being required and without mentioning specifics. Absolutely disheartened I went to join the boys for teh tarik outside. Seemingly as I perceived dangdut is gone for an evolved one but how evolved I can only guess. To me dangdut has already reached its end and has become final - intrinsically and extrinsically, and it has reached its farthest point and not exist anymore but the clubs are still around but the players have changed and me being a senior knows only the old people and when they left the scene I knew not what to do. But the new players may bring fresh dynamism to one which is already dead. Maybe I have to go check SM and Extravaganza and stay a bit longer innermost observing and feeling the music again. But deep inside I knew that contemporary sounds and current club folks will take over. A dangdut aficionado can only  reminisce..hohohohoho

No comments: