Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Dance Competition

Hasheem has been quite informative about the upcoming dangdut competition. Since the patrons' dance partner must be a hostess working in the club it was no surprise that I would always see him with Lisa those past few weeks. He also mentioned merit points given by The Manager to the customers each time they frequented the joint but wasn't sure how they helped the competitors during the competition. There was also no free drinks mentioned in relation to amounts of points awarded. How then the points help when skills should be the sole criteria to win. Somehow Hasheem the Financial Analyst would always add to further explain a most complex merit system. Until today I could not fathom the wisdom of The Club Manager's winning plan. And Hasheem also was neither questioning nor baffled by The Club Boss strange blueprint. I haven't came across Hasheem for the past fifteen solar years and the manager too, and that I have heard of, has since demised. Come the day of the competition or the night really,I was quite early making myself available at the club. Since the dancers have all been book by the contenders,I was just chilling down at one of the stalls nearby. Luckily some dangduteers too wanted to come early so I was not short of company. Hasheem was in fact earlier than all of us chatting at the stalls and was earnestly warming up in the club. Hasheem loves dancing and many a dancers would try to avoid his bookings as he would dance non stop until the wee hours when the club closes. But Lisa can be so nice and accommodating and I too was taken by her delightful company. Not lovey lovey and the same too goes for Hasheem but as a dance buddy and also to exchange light banter with.Competition did not start until the witching hour so it was quite a while having teh tarik outside that I ventured into teratak at about half hour nearing midnight if only to find a suitable spot to watch the wiggling bout. Tables are to be forgotten as the place had actually fulled up so the best position left was standing room about 20 feet from the dance concourse. I saw Hasheem still prancing with Lisa and seemingly he was brimming with energy the fact that it was nearly two hours prior that he entered the club. Lisa too was excited and energetic but kinda anxious too considering that the moment of truth was only several minutes away. Suddenly Mahat the Assistant Manager approached me and suggested from the few words uttered that I became one of the Judges for the competition. Somewhat like "Zul, you be judge". I was shocked! Why must I be judge when Hasheem is better and having more stamina doing steps to the dance. But Mahat replied that they were short of one to make three. Cikgu was one and a retired Colonel or was it Major was another. I did not even answer Yes when immediately later my name was called as one of the deciding trio. Hasheem looked shocked when I along with the other two referees were paraded upon the concourse for all to view. I only spot a sheepish look together with shrugging the shoulders to signal to Hasheem that I too was caught unprepared. Since the whole world knew back then I had no other avenue but to protesting like agree to the perfectly unplanned arrangement. Then a further announcement arrived informing of the judges need to showcase their dance prowess in order to display that they too can dance. Since I came alone and only to cheer on Hasheem I had to borrow Lisa. Well the presentation lasted only a few minutes - Thank God! But must say that the audience did not boo or anything and the very least that they accept my being elevated from nowhere to be judge. I was quite relieved the fact was. Must say that I was also rather proud to be included amongst the dangdut notables for the short time that the competition lasted. Imagine from a dangdut nobody to a dangdut dance arbitrator. Boy was I beaming. Then came the announcement as regards the procedures underlining the dance fight. There were points for smoothness bar rigidity whilst prancing,tempo and rhythm,expressions to dance types and dance sentiments,dance intricacies or bunga and a few and much more stranger rules apart from already mentioned. How the fcuk am I going maneuver through those? Luckily Cikgu being the head judge juggled all the figures with the management in a locked room when the competition finishes. I on the other hand just wrote no 1,no 2 and no 3 without noting down other figures upon the prepared and printed judging form given at the start. Gave Hasheem 3rd place as there were better couples than him. Forgot the results but Hasheem did get fourth or consolation or third as per my form. Can't remember as was too long ago! Just where is Hasheem now? Did not ever bumped into him post dance competition - at Teratak the Hut - nearly a score years ago!

No comments: